The Amateur Softball Association of the Philippines is the governing body for the sport of softball in the Philippines. It is a private sports organization, recognized as the National Sport Association (NSA) for softball.
The Amateur Softball Association of the Philippines is a regular member of the Philipine Olympic Committee.
The Amateur Softball Association of the Philippines is accredited by the International Softball Federation which is the governing body for the sport of softball in the world, the headquarters of which is in 1900 South Park Road, Plat City Florida, USA.
The Amateur Softball Association of the Philippines is also accredited by the Asian Softball Association.
A Brief History of Softball
- American troops introduced softball in the country and it was first called “indoor baseball”
- Initially, it was a game for girls
- In 1911, indoor baseball was formally introduced in local public schools to replace basketball as game for schoolgirls
- It soon became the No. 1 sport among women in Bicol region and the Visayas
- Philippines took the lead in introducing indoor baseball, forerunner of the present-day softball, to other Asian countries such as Japan & China
- 1915 - Philippines sent two girls teams in Far Eastern Games in Shanghai, China to demonstrate the game
Softball was made an official event in the national interscholastic (public schools) meet.
- 1951 – At the end of the Pacific War, a regional series for women was launched
- The Philippine Blu Boys placed second to Japan after a tensely fought final, 8-1, in the just-concluded 8th Asian Men’s Softball Championship